iPad Backup 2018 Edition
Data backup is extremely important when using any device. This guide is designed to provide instructions on how to backup school files to Google Drive (teachers + students) and iCloud (students).
Option 1: Backup to Google Drive
Google Drive is an ideal solution for backup due to its ease of use, and the fact that its free storage.
- In the app you wish to back up, open up the file
- Tap the Sharrow (“Share Arrow”)
- Select Google Drive as the destination
Backup to Drive from iMovie
- Open “iMovie” on your iPad.
- Select the video which you want to upload.
- Tap “Export” icon located at the bottom on the screen.
- Choose “Camera Roll” option.
- Choose an export size from the pop-up menu
- Tap “+” button located at the top-right corner on the screen.
- Select “Upload Photos or Videos” option.
- Click “Camera Roll”.
- A “Camera Roll” window opens up & select the videos which you want to upload.
- Click “Upload” button.
Backup to Drive from Explain Everything
- Select the Share Button
- Select File
- Click on Google Drive icon
- If you are not logged in you will be prompted to do so
- Select the file format you would like to export your files:
- Saving as a “Project” will save your file as an Explain Everything XPL file.
- Saving as a “PDF” prevents future editing
- Select Google Drive in bottom of window and choose which folder to store your files.
- Click “Export” and your files will start uploading to Google Drive
Backup to Drive from Notability
- Open Notability and tap on the gear in the bottom left corner
- Tap on Auto-backup and then on Google Drive
- Tap on the gear icon next to Google Drive, and then, under ‘Choose Format’ tap on PDF.
- Select ‘Note’ as the sync format file type
- Tap Settings to go back, followed by close
- Your notes will now begin backing up.
- Keep the app open until the progress indicator completes. This is the ever closing circle in the bottom right of the left-hand navigation pane.
- Note: Notability notes backed up through Google Drive will need to be imported in 1 folder at a time when setting up a new iPad. This should be a 1 time step.
Option 2: Backup to iCloud
iCloud is Apple’s cloud backup solution. Students are welcome to use their school issued managed AppleID. Each manged AppleID comes with 200GB of storage space. You will know if it’s a managed if it uses the firstname.lastname@example.org format.
Backup from Pages, Keynote or Numbers
- If you have iCloud Drive enabled, these programs should back up automatically.
- To check, tap on Settings, then your AppleID card on the top of the left row.
- Scroll down. You will want to have iCloud Drive turned on, and the toggle next the apps you would like backed up enabled.
Backup and Sync from Notability
- Open Notability and tap the gear in the bottom left corner
- Tap on iCloud
- Tap the toggle switch to enable iCloud Backup
- Your notes and folder structure will now sync to iCloud