Google Meet 201: Seeing All participants at once!
Google Meet has a variety of view options built in. These are called ‘Layouts’ by Google. Here are the ones built in:
- Auto—Allow Meet to choose the layout for you.
- Tiled—Shows up to 16 people when there is no presentation. Move your mouse to see participant names. If a new person joins after the meeting starts, they are added to the bottom of the screen. Presentations are shown in a large tile, with the most active participants to the side.
- Spotlight—Full-screen layout with the option to display the presentation, active speaker, or participant you pin. When you pin a participant or presentation, they’re always visible.
- Sidebar—One main image of a participant or the presentation. The images of other meeting participants are on the side.
The built in tile option will allow you to see up to 16 people, but what if you want to see more?
Fortunately, there is a way to see everyone at once! This method only works in Chrome and Firefox and only on a macOS or Windows computer. It does not work on mobile.
Step 1: Install the Extension
In Firefox, you’ll need to instal the Google Meet Grid View extension.
- Open Firefox
- Go to: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-meet-grid-view/?src=search
- Click on ‘Add to Firefox’ and then
In Chrome, you’ll need to instal the Google Meet Grid View extension.
- Open Chrome
- Go to: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-meet-grid-view/bjkegbgpfgpikgkfidhcihhiflbjgfic?hl=en-US
- Click on ‘+’ Add to Chrome, and then click add.
Step 2: Once installed…
Once the Gridview extension is installed in either browser, you’re good to go!
During a Meet, there will be an icon in the top right corner. Click on it and you’ll be able to toggle the grid view during your meeting.