Copying a Course in Ultra
If you teach multiple courses that use similar content, you may want to copy content items and folders between courses to help save time. In the Ultra Course View, you can copy content from other courses you teach so you don’t have to start with a blank slate.
You can quickly build your list of content to copy from another course. You can choose to copy multiple pieces of content across your courses, including all content in your courses. Get started from the Course Content page.
In the Ultra Course View, you can copy these supported content types from other courses you teach:
- Tests, including group tests
- Assignments, including group assignments
- Links to websites
- SCORM packages
- Discussions and journals
Select Content to Copy
You can copy all the content or select individual items from the other Ultra courses you teach. On the Course Content page, select the plus sign to open the menu and select Copy Content. Or, open the menu on the right side above the content list. Select Copy Content. The Copy Content panel opens.
The Copy Content option isn’t available for courses in Ultra preview mode. You can only copy content from other courses in the Ultra Course View.
- In the Copy Content panel, all your courses appear in the Your Courses and Organizations list. If you teach many courses, you can search to find courses by name or course ID.
- Build your list of content to copy:
- Select a course’s check box to copy all of its content into the current course.
- Select a course’s name to explore its content and select the check boxes next to the folders and items you want to copy.
- Do both! You can copy all content from one course and a few items from another. Use the Copy Content option to copy content from more than one course at a time.
- In the Selected Items section at the bottom of the panel, select View All to review your selections and clear the check boxes next to any items you don’t want to copy.
- To return to the list of courses and organizations, select the X next to Selected Items in the black bar at the top of the panel.
Check boxes appear differently when you select entire courses or one or more items in a course. A check mark shows you’ve selected the entire course for copy. A dash shows you’ve selected some pieces of content in a course. When you view the items in a course, select the book icon to open a menu to navigate back to your courses and organizations list.
Ready to copy? After you finalize your selections, select Copy selected content and the copy action begins. Status indicators on the Course Content page show the progress. A success message appears when the action completes. The copied content is added to the end of the content list.
Issues and Exceptions Copying Content
If the system encounters problems with a content copy, an error report appears at the top of the Course Content page. Select View Details to learn more about why the content failed to copy.
On the Copy Details panel, you can see if the problems are related to your server connectivity or the content itself. Select an entry to see why the item wasn’t successfully copied.
When you copy an entire course’s content, the visibility settings are preserved when the content is added to the new course. For example, hidden content in the copied course is hidden in the course you copied it to. Content is set to Hidden from students if you copy individual items into your course.
Review all copied items to be sure students can see the content you want to show.