Creating a Smart View in Blackboard
You can customize your view of the Blackboard Grade Center by creating smart views. A smart view is a focused look at the Grade Center. It shows only the columns that match a set of criteria, and the view is saved for continued use. When the Grade Center includes a great number of students and columns, you can use smart views to quickly find data.
Several smart views are available by default, but you can also create your own. You can easily move between the Full Grade Center view and any of the available smart views. You can set a smart view as the default view of the Grade Center and change it at any time.
This is the basic process for creating a Smart View of a single Power School section
- In the Grade Center, go to Manage on the action bar and click Smart Views.
- On the Smart Views page, click Create Smart View on the action bar.
- On the Create Smart Views page, type a name an optional description. The description can assist with identifying the smart view.
- Optionally, select the Add as Favorite check box to make the smart view a favorite. In the Grade Center section of the Control Panel, favorite smart views appear in alphabetical order in the indented list in the Full Grade Center section.
- For Type of View, Choose ‘Custom’
- Under User Criteria, select “Child Class ID”
- Enter the Child Class ID of the section you want to use (see below for more information*)
- Click Submit
What are Parent Courses / Child Courses?
Courses in Blackboard are set up with a Parent/Child relationship. Each of your small groups (aka ‘sections’ in PowerSchool) is assigned a Child ID. The course number in PowerSchool generates a Parent class that has control over the others.
Where do I find a Child Class ID?
You can use the Grade Center to find out your section’s Child Class ID’s. Find a student that you know is in a section that you teach. In the grade center scroll to view the Child Class ID column. The number should look something like “1925-2501-103” Write down or copy that number. You can use it in step 7 above. Repeat for each section that you teach.
What do those numbers mean?
Courses are numbered in Blackboard based on PowerSchool. Parent courses follow a structure of PowerSchoolCourseNumber-Term. For example, the US History parent course is number 1925-2501
Child courses have the same number as the parent, but add on the PowerSchool section number. For example, section 1 of US History is 1925-2501-101