Apply to Have Your Building Recognized as an Apple Distinguished School
Have as many Westside buildings as possible recognized as Apple distinguished schools.
During the 2007-2008 school year, Westside High School was in the first group of schools to receive the distinction of Apple Distinguished School. WHS has maintained that distinction continuously since the program’s start.
With the implementation of the district-wide 1:1 program, all Westside buildings now can express interest in this program and ask to be invited to apply. The application process involves some work but the basic requirements are achievable with a reasonable amount of effort.
March 13, 2017 Request program application invitation (deadline, 7pm Central)
March 27, 2017 Apple will communicate with you on the status of your application request
August 30, 2017 Final application deadline including iBook and Apple Teacher percentages (7pm Central)
Why become an Apple Distinguished School?
Benefits for your building:
- Plaque and banner that acknowledge recognition as an Apple Distinguished School
- Program logo artwork to use on the school website and in print materials
- Congratulatory letter from Apple
- Sample press release for local communication
- Consideration for inclusion in Apple communications
- Opportunities for school leaders to engage with experts and collaborate with peers
Benefits for your staff:
- The Apple Teacher process improves basic skill in the Apple Apps
- A chance to have ALL staff demonstrate understanding of using the 1:1 devices for both creativity and productivity.
- Complete the request for program application (by March 13th, 2017). NOTE: Only the building principal OR teacher leader may submit an application.
- To help you complete the official application form, we have annotated a sample version to give you a starting point. This PDF should be viewed prior to filling out the actual application as it contains necessary information.
- Once you have viewed the sample application form, you can access the official form here:
- 75% of your teachers must be Apple Teacher certified by August 30th, 2017. Note: Apple Teacher Certification may be tied to merit pay in the future.
- Create an multitouch iBook showcasing your building’s use of 1:1 technology and documenting your students success.
- Program recognition is for a 2 year period.
- We will offer two ‘principal boot camps’ at Area 66 on creating the multi touch iBook
- An iBook template will be provided
- After school workshops on becoming Apple Teacher certified will be offered at Area 66
- Wednesday PLC time for working on Apple Teacher Certification. Can request tech support help from Matt, Bridget, Paul
Resources and Documentation
Apple Distinguished Schools webpage: http://www.apple.com/education/apple-distinguished-schools/
Apple Distinguished Schools Overview Document: http://images.apple.com/education/apple-distinguished-schools/docs/Apple_Distinguished_School_Overview_2017_2019.pdf
Apple Teacher webpage: http://www.apple.com/education/apple-teacher/
Current list of Westside Apple Teachers: http://area66.westside66.org/apple-certified-teachers-at-westside/