2017 Technology Refresh Timeline and Information
Update For Staff:
- Many of you have contacted us expressing concern about the June 23rd deadline for turning in or buying your current laptop (and iPad if applicable).
This date was chosen based on an assumption that we would have the shipment of new teacher devices delivered by now.
3. We have not received that shipment, nor do we have a firm date as to when they arrive(though we expect it to be soon).
4. When these shipments arrive, we will immediately let you know and specify times when you can begin to pick up your new technology.
5. Therefore, the June 23rd deadline date has been eliminated.
6. We are re-setting our new deadline for purchasing or turning in your current generation of tech to Friday, JULY 21st.
7. To repeat, the new deadline for purchasing or turning in your current generation of tech to FRIDAY, JULY TWENTY-FIRST.
We are at the point where we are able to publicize the procedures and timeline for the 2017 Technology Refresh. Please read the below carefully and complete the required steps.
To help plan for the summer, we are asking ALL CERTIFIED STAFF (Teachers & Building Administrators) to complete the following ‘Flight Plan’ BY MAY 24th.
Purchasing Times and Locations for WCS Staff
- Certified Staff can begin purchasing their MacBook and/or iPad starting on 5/17. Note Keep in mind, when purchasing your MacBook, all district software will be immediately removed. All iPads will be wiped upon purchased. This could impact your workflow for the end of the semester.
- Between 5/17 and 5/23, technology purchases will take place at either WMS or WHS in the technology offices.
- No sales will be made on 5/24 until after the district closing. After the program, we will have a purchase station set up in WHS Room 222.
- Starting on 5/25, all technology purchases will take place at WHS in Room 222.
If you are leaving the district at the conclusion of this school year:
- Please complete the flight plan form by 5/24/17
- Not buying your device(s)? You will have until 5/30/2017 OR your last day in the district, whichever is earlier, to turn in your technology. Technology needs to be turned in to Dr. Lindgren at the ABC Building.
- Buying your device(s)? All purchases must be completed by 5/30/17 OR your last day in the district, whichever is earlier. If you are an elementary teacher and are only purchasing your MacBook or iPad, the other device will need to be turned in at ABC by 5/30/17.
If you are returning to the district next year:
- Please complete the flight plan form by 5/24/17
Buying your device(s)?
- If you would like to purchase your device you will need to complete the flight plan form.
- You will have until June 23rd to complete the purchase. Please see the above section listing the dates and times available for staff purchases.
- If you do not complete your purchase by 7/21, the device will be remotely locked, erased and need to be brought in.
Not Buying Your device(s)?
- If you are not purchasing your device(s) you have a couple of options available to you. Please read through the options listed here and select what best fits your personal circumstances.
- “I want to have access to my MacBook and/or iPad until the new device comes in (for summer school/grad classes/email/just because)”
- Great! You can continue to use your Westside issued device(s) over the summer provided you commit to bringing it in before the final deadline.
- Once new devices are in (approximately mid-June), we will send a communication out and you will be able to pick up your new device(s).
- ALL Westside issued MacBooks and iPads need to be turned in by 7/21/2017.
- I don’t want to have to come back in this summer, and am OK with not having access to my Westside issued MacBook and/or iPad.
- That can work. If you don’t want to come in during the summer, your Westside issued technology needs to be turned in by 5/30/2017, or when you leave for the summer, whichever is earliest.
- Please turn all technology into the tech staff in Room 222 at WHS.
- You will be responsible for backing up your data. Technology will not be able to store your data over the summer. Your technology will be erased when you turn it in.
- We will set aside your new device(s) for you and you will be able to pick them up when returning staff report back in August.
- I want to have access to my Westside issued MacBook and/or iPad over the summer, but also don’t want to come in this summer.
- Unfortunately, the trade-off for being able to continue to use your Westside issued technology over the summer is to come in during the month of June to trade it in. If you are unable to, your only option would be to purchase the device(s).
To Reiterate, Here Are The Important Deadlines:
- 5/17: Sale period opens for staff
- 5/24: All certified staff need to complete the ‘Pre-Flight’ technology form
- 5/25: All sales will take place ONLY at WHS in room 222
- 5/30: Last day to turn in technology if you are not purchasing it and are not returning OR are returning and don’t want to come in during the summer
- 6/5-6/9: Public sale period for 11″ MacBook Airs and iPad 4’s. See our Public Sales page for details.
- 7/21: Final deadline to turn in ALL technology that you did not purchase.
Thanks! Have a great end of the school year!
Updated 6/15 to include new deadline.
Updated 5/26/17 to clarify technology check in location.