2017 End of Year Elementary Technology Procedures
As we conclude the 2016-17 school year there are a few housekeeping items that need to be completed on both your student’s iPads and your own. Please complete the steps (In order) before the end of the year.
Changes to Student and Staff iPads for 2017-18
We will be getting new iPads for the 2017-18 school year for both students and certified staff. The new model will be a 32GB iPad (5th Generation).
•Physical Changes: The new iPad has the same screen size, but smaller bezels and weighs about a ½ pound less. To help keep old and new devices easy to identify, iPads purchased for this refresh will be white/silver.
•Storage Space: This new device will have twice the storage space as what we have now.
•Touch ID: The new iPad will have Touch ID (i.e., fingerprint reader) enabled for staff but not for students.
•We will be collecting ALL current iPads for sale and re-distribution at the end of the school year.
End of Year Student iPad Action Steps
Step 1: Inventory of Current Devices
A. Since we are selling all current iPads (iPad 4), we need to have an accurate inventory of CHARGERS and iPADS. Please ensure that for every iPad you have that you also have both a charging cable AND a charger.
B. If you’ve had students in EY or Music that have taken their iPad’s home, please check with each of them and verify the information on the individualized checkout sheet provided to you.
C. Any missing iPads, iPad Chargers or iPad charging cables should be reported Tyler or Emerson via the HelpDesk (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
Step 2: Decide What to Keep and What Not to Keep
Throughout the year, students have been creating learning artifacts on their iPads. If they wish to save files/documents/photos for use next year they will need to back them up to Google Drive. If a student does not want to save their files, they can skip this step.
Many apps can be moved to Google Drive. Google files (Docs, Slides, Sheets) are automatically backed up. For complete directions, please visit the following Area 66 post:
Step 3: End of Semester
At the end of the semester, please do the following BEFORE you leave for the summer.
- On a sticky note taped to the top of your iPad Cart, please indicate any missing iPads or chargers. Include who they were assigned to.
- Please remove the cases from the iPads. Place the iPads in the cart. Give the login/ID cards to your building principal for shredding, and dispose of the cases in the trash.
- Make sure the iPads are turned ON and are plugged IN.
- Please make sure the iPad cart is also plugged in and turned on.
- Make sure the cart is accessible by Emerson and Tyler. Please do not push it into a corner and stack furniture around it. They need to be able to get to it to take the iPads out.
- Please have these steps completed by 5/24.
End of Year Teacher iPad and AppleTV Action Steps
A. You will have the option to purchase your teacher iPad. Please see our technology sales page for details. Even if you are purchasing your iPad, you will still need to complete the steps below.
B. Backup any data you would like saved. Many apps can be backed up to either Google Drive or iCloud. Google files (Docs, Slides, Sheets) are automatically backed up. Examples are listed below.
Westside Google Drive
Pages, Keynote, Numbers
iMovie, Photos, Videos
For complete directions, please visit the following Area 66 post:
C. AppleTV: We will be replacing and updating the AppleTV’s in each classroom.
- If you signed into the AppleTV with an iTunes/iCloud AppleID, or signed into any app (i.e., Netflix, Pandora), please sign out. The AppleTV’s are being sold and you do not want your personal information to go along with it!
- Please place your AppleTV remote in an empty slot inside of your iPad Cart.
D. Please complete all of these steps by May 26th
If you are not returning next year
If you are a certified staff member and are not returning to Westside next year and are NOT purchasing your devices, please complete the following:
- Leave your iPad cart key’s with your building principal
- You will need to bring all assigned technology to the ABC building for check in. This includes your laptop, laptop charger, laptop case, iPad, iPad charger and iPad case.
- Your Westside Google account will be turned off after you leave. Please make sure to have any files you wish to keep downloaded to a personal device or moved into a personal Google account.
If you are a classified staff member and are not returning to Westside next year and have a iPad, please complete the following:
- Bring your iPad to your building principal
- Verify with him/her that you have turned OFF ‘Find my iPhone’
- Verify with him/her that you have signed out of iCloud